Wednesday, October 29, 2008

THINGS I'VE LEARNED FROM COACH (#35)

COACH MEYER: "All coaches should study John Wooden."

Actually I didn't learn this from Coach though he never speaks at a clinic that he doesn't bring it up and thus remind me of the importance. My junior high coach and mentor Allen Osborne started me on the path to learning from Coach Wooden (among others) and then working for Dale Brown, a dear friend of Coach Wooden, we were always encouraged to study Coach Wooden. In fact, Coach Brown annually made a trip to California for the purpose of spending time with Coach Wooden talking about basketball and life. One of my greatest thrills in coaching was when Coach Brown arranged for me to fly out and spend a day with Coach. It was an amazing and educational experience that I will never forget.

The following is a story that fans of Coach Wooden will enjoy that hit ESPN.com yesterday:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3669154&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1

And here is another great story on Coach Wooden that ran a few years ago:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=wooden