Friday, November 7, 2008

COACH KNIGHT'S FOUR CORNERSTONES

"Of the four cornerstones I have about coaching basketball, that was one of them: the whole idea of running a basketball team -- team rules, my approach to training, and clearing away inconsequential matters to allow good decision-making, all of those things influenced by talking with and observing a master of the game: Joe Lapchick.

The second cornerstone came from one of the game's first truly great coaches, Clair Bee. It was the critically important role of teaching in basketball -- teaching the game's fundamentals and philosophies, including all things involved in a team approach and a determination throughout that team not just play well but to win.

My third cornerstone was an appreciation of basketball as something never to be mastered but always, every day of every year, to be studied with an unflagging zeal for answers -- and a duty to pass them on. That was brought into focus for me by playing at Ohio State for another Hall of Fame coach, Fred Taylor.

Pete Newell was the fourth cornerstone in the construction of my philosophy of coaching."

From "Knight: My Story"
By Bob Knight with Bob Hammel