Tuesday, May 12, 2009

MOTIVATED BY FEAR

"It's probably a big surprise to many of you that I am so insecure about success. In fact, it took me years to admit that fear is at the root of my performance. It goes against much of what the literature and 'gurus' out there insist, that you have to let go of your fear to ever be successful; that you can't be afraid to fail. I don't think that's an absolute. My fear of failing as a child carried over onto the football field in high school and then college. I was so concerned about not being successful that it pushed me to be successful. All of those extra hours in the gym or on the track or on the practice fields were more than just about hard work; they were about avoiding failure. Before every game of my NFL career I was scared -- scared to drop the big pass, scared I'd let my teammates down. And now I realize it all goes back to not wanting to disappoint my father."

-Jerry Rice-