Tuesday, May 26, 2009

THOUGHTS ON SELF-RESPECT

"Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself."
-Abraham Heschel-

"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self."
-Aldous Huxley-

"Self-respect is a question of recognizing that anything worth having has a price."
-Joan Didion-

"We are all something, but none of us are everything."
-Blaise Pascal-

"Perhaps the most important thing we can undertake toward the reduction of fear is to make it easier for people to accept themselves, to like themselves."
-Bonaro Overstreet-

"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence."
-Frederick Douglass-

"They cannot take away our self-respect
if we do not give it to them."
-Mohandas Gandhi-

"To safeguard democracy the people must have a keen sense of independence, self-respect, and their oneness."
-Mahandas Gandhi-

"Whatever games are played with us, we must play no games with ourselves."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson-

"When I go into the garden with a spade, and dig a bed, I feel such an exhilaration and health that I discover that I have been defrauding myself all this time in letting others do for me what I should have done with my own hands."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson-