Sunday, June 14, 2009

THE PATRIOTS NOT-SO-SECRET SECRET: HARD WORK

According to three-time Pro Bowl running back Corey Dillon, who joined the Patriots in 2004:

"I understand why this organization wins. They work extremely hard. Hard. I mean hard! My first couple of days here, I would call my agent and be like, 'Man, what'd you get me into?' It's unbelievable. After that first day, I understood why they're Super Bowl champions. I understand. It's only going to make me better. I know one thing, I'm going to be stronger and fast this year. Guaranteed."

In preparing so intensely, Patriot players and assistant coaches are emulating their head coach, who leads by example. Bill Belichick has always been fanatically disciplined and passionate about every aspect of football. Phil Simms (quarterback of the New York Giants and MVP of Super Bowl XXI while Belichick was the Giants' defensive coordinator) offers this anecdote:

"Belichick was the only person left (in the Giants facility). He'd be on the bike watching film with the clicker in his hand, sweating like wild. His dedication and attention to detail are unbelievable. He ruined at least two bikes because he was sweating so bad...the bikes...would rust out."

The Patriot's success derives from something more fundamental than "hard work." "Hard work" is a symptom. No coach can dictate a player's work habits, except perhaps during practices. Players must be motivated to work hard 365 days a year, not merely when a coach is observing them. "Hard work" is not a coaching strategy but a consequence of hiring players who love playing football and building a competitive, performance-focused organization culture that inspires players to passionately pursue individual and collective excellence, every day of the year.
.
From "Management Secrets of the New England Patriots,"
By James Lavine