Sunday, July 19, 2009

BOOGIE GOING FOR THE GOLD

From the USA Basketball website, a short interview with our own LaSondra "Boogie" Barrett. Boogie was co-SEC Freshman of the Year and I greatly enjoyed watching her improve throughout the year. She is a smart player that tries to learn from all of her experiences so our staff was unbelievably thrilled for her to make the roster of the USA 19-and-Under World Championship Team. We've been fortunate to have a lot of student-athletes get involved in the USA Basketball experience and it has always been in important in the process of their maturity level on and off the court. I also enjoyed her answers -- they show growth in her vision of how the game should be played.

How did it feel to find out you had made the final roster?
I was ecstatic. This is the biggest honor I have had as far as my basketball career. I’m just happy to be a part of this group, happy to represent the USA and hopefully go out and win the gold.

Is there anything in particular you focused on individually between trials and coming back to training camp?
Yeah, just being more consistent with my shot. Also playing defense and having an up-tempo game. They’re (the coaches) really pushing having an up-tempo game so I just really worked on training and just pressuring the ball defensively.

With that being said, is defense the most important task as a team in training camp?
Yeah, that’s one of the things they mentioned. Just one of the aspects, it’s not just defense. There are other parts, but defense plays a major part. If we can get our defense going, than the offense will come willingly.

What are you going to try and bring to the team?
Just hope and heart. Everyone is pretty much the same out here as far as talent goes. There are really no superstars here so we just need to come together as a team collectively. I just play my role of being enthused, if I’m out on the court showing effort, and if I’m on the bench cheering on my teammates.