Tuesday, August 25, 2009

GIVING MORE THAN THAT

After being inspired by Rashanda McCants and her mother today (http://bit.ly/bd8C6), I thought I'd share another story from "Leader of the Pack: The Legacy of Legendary Coach Kay Yow." the book was written by Stephanie Zonars and a portion of the proceeds go to the Kay Yow/WBCA Cancer Fund. This story comes from Claudia Kreicker Dozier who played for Coach Yow from 1980-1984.

"It was my senior year, 1984. We just suffered a heartbreaking over-time loss to No. 4 Old Dominion on their home court. A win would have put us in the Elite Eight. Instead, our season was over. I struggled to take my uniform off after the game, as it reminded me that our class had failed to bring Coach Yow a NCAA or Atlantic Coast Conference tournament title. I took that failure personally.

As a senior co-captain, I felt like I owed Coach Yow an apology for failing that mission. On the bus ride home the next morning, I fought back tears as I walked to the front. I was surprised to find her peacefully reading a basketball instructional book. I chit-chatted until my heart could bear it no more. Then, through tears and brokenness, I shared my sorrow at failing to help bring her a national title. She looked at me with loving surprise and said, 'But Claudia, you gave me so much more than that.'"

In that short passage, I took away a few things.

1. For a player playing in her last collegiate game to care more about her coach than herself speaks to the character of the player but more importantly to how the player obviously had been treated by Coach Yow.

2. I loved the fact that less than 24 hours after a tough loss that Coach Yow was reading a basketball book -- the Hall of Famer still dedicated to learning.

3. And of course, the grace and dignity in her statement, "...you gave me so much more than that."

When you talk about Coach Yow, you can certainly say the same thing. She gave us so much more than that!
You can find out more about Stephanie Zonars as well as order an advanced copy Leader of the Pack at: http://www.lifebeyondsport.com/

Again, it should be noted that partial proceeds of the book sales go to the Kay You/WBCA Cancer Fund.