Sunday, January 10, 2010

THE IMPORTANCE OF HOPE

Came across an excellent article from SuccessMagazine.com written by John Maxwell on the subject of "hope." I believe the best coaches understand the importance of hope and know how to give it properly and at the right time to both a team as well as players individually. Here is part of the article with a link to the complete writing at the end:

I've learned a lot of lessons throughout myyears teaching leadership. I would like to share one of these with you: how to be a dealer in hope.

I was signing books at a crowded convention recently, and a lady came up to me, handed me her book to sign and said, “For the last eight years, I’ve been reading your books and have been following the teachings you’ve given me—a wonderful gift and I’m grateful.” After asking her what gift I had given her, with big tears in her eyes, she said, “Hope.” She said when she reads my books, they give her hope.

The experience reminded me of what Napoleon said: “Leaders are dealers in hope.”

Indeed, one of the most powerful, energizing words in the English language is the word hope. Hope is a power that keeps us going in the toughest times of life. It’s a power that energizes us with excitement and anticipation as we look forward to the future.

Hope gives us reason to live. It takes obstacles and transforms them into possibilities. Hope gives us the strength and the courage we need to make the most of life. Those early experiences convinced me that the best way to help people is to give them hope. So I have decided to be a hope dealer for others.

In 1979, 10 years after learning this lesson, I wrote the following words in my fi rst book, Think on These Things:

What does hope do for mankind?

Hope shines brightest when the hour is darkest.
Hope motivates when discouragement comes.
Hope energizes when the body is tired.
Hope sweetens when the bitterness bites.
Hope sings when all melodies are gone.
Hope believes when the evidence is eliminated.
Hope listens for answers when no one is talking.
Hope climbs over obstacles when no one is helping.
Hope endures hardship when no one is caring.
Hope smiles confidently when no one is laughing.
Hope reaches for answers when no one is asking.
Hope presses toward victory when no one is encouraging.
Hope dares to give when no one is sharing.

Read the entire article (well worth it) at: http://bit.ly/5Sv5tr