Saturday, June 26, 2010

CONTEST #2 TO WIN "EVERYONE COMMUNICATES, FEW CONNECT" BY JOHN MAXWELL

This comes from a blog I wrote back in early March from two people that have served to mentor me...one directly (Coach Wooden) and another indirectly (John Maxwell - through his books, blog, videos, etc.).

The following comes from "Today Matters" by John Maxwell:

I mentioned earlier in the chapter that I fulfilled my lifelong dream of spending half a day with John Wooden. He is an amazing man. He coached basketball for over forty years. And, in all those years, he had only one losing season (his first). He led his UCLA teams to four undefeated seasons and a record ten NCAA championships, including seven in a row. No wonder he is called the Wizard of Westwood (the Los Angeles suburb where the UCLA campus is situated).

Before I went to see him, I spent three weeks rereading his books and devouring every bit of information I could about him. Then, on the appointed day, I met him for lunch at a little diner near his home where he eats regularly. When we met, he was ninety-two years old. But you wouldn’t know it to talk to him. He’s alert. And he is sharp!

As we ate, I must have asked him a thousand questions, and he answered them all graciously. I wanted to learn as much as I could about his leadership. I wanted to know why he thought he had been able to win as he did. He said he attributed it to four things: (1) analyzing players, (2) getting them to fulfill their roles as part of the team, (3) paying attention to fundamentals and details, (4) working well with others. I also wanted to know what he missed most about coaching. At first his answer surprised me.

What was the answer? The first two people to email me at: rstarke@lsu.edu with the correct answer will receive a free copy of John Maxwell's "Everyone Communicates, Few Connect."

As I mentioned earlier, I've been given copies of "Everyone Communicates, Few Connect," from Thomas Nelson Publishing. I must remind everyone that NCAA rules prohibit me from giving them away to high school coaches, AAU coaches and prospective student-athletes (one day I may blog about some of these NCAA rules!). With the recent passing of Coach Wooden, and his relationship with John Maxwell (who mentions lessons learned from Coach Wooden in several of his books), we thought a Coach Wooden question would be perfect today.