Tuesday, April 26, 2011

COACH K: THE IMPORTANCE OF CARING

When you care about someone or something you show genuine concern for that person or thing, in good times and bad.

In the development of our basketball teams, care is as crucial an aspect as any. You want to care about one another as individuals, have empathy and compassion.

Care is developed by fostering individual relationships. This means not only caring about the team does on the basketball court but caring about their lives off the court and taking the time to get to know who they really are as a person, not only as a basketball player.

I absolutely love when my former players call me to ask for my input or advise, or even just to catch up. It is the ultimate proof that I have been successful in showing them that I do care for them.

From “Beyond Basketball” by Mike Krzyzewski with Jamie Spatola