Thursday, March 15, 2012

WHAT DO YOU DO TO GROW YOUR SPORT?

One of the responsibilities I feel as a coach in women's collegiate basketball is that of "growing our sport."  By this, I mean making it as attractive to fans as possible.  I am constantly asking myself, "what can we do to grow our fan base."

Later in the month I will dedicate an entire blog to some thoughts and ideas to this concept but in the mean time I thought I'd pass along this story I got from Stephen Covey's book "Everyday Greatness."

The Boston Bruins were playing the new York Rangers, and I was in charge of the penalty box.  Directly behind me on a special ramped section, I spotted a boy of four or five seated in a wheelchair, frantically waving a Bruin banner.

After the pre-game warm-ups, Ranger Phil Esposito caught sight of the boy and stopped to chat. "If you're still here at the end of the game, you've got my stick," I heard him say.

I could see how excited the boy was, and he stayed that way throughout the game.  I hoped that the pro would remember.

The final buzzer sounded, and in seconds Esposito was up at the ramp, handing the lad his stick and offering words of encouragement.

That night the Rangers lost the game, but Phil Esposito won two lifetime fans.

-John Holllingsworth