Thursday, April 5, 2012

COACH SABAN'S MOTIVATION

I don't think it's a secret to many that I great respect Coach Nick Saban and his coaching philosophy.  He is always preaching to his team about the importance of the "process."  I thought it was interesting in this ESPN.com article written by Mark Schlabach he walks the walk in terms of what motivates him as a coach:

"To me, as a coach, and I think that's why I like college coaching, it's not just about winning games," Saban said. "I'm not saying I don't want to win every game and win championships, but from a job standpoint it's a great profession because you have a great opportunity to affect young people and help them be successful. If you go out and talk to anybody that's an athlete, almost every one of them will tell you about some coach they had somewhere that had a huge impact on their lives. That's kind of why I do this."

The tail end of Saban's coaching career -- he said he'll coach as long as he still likes being around his players -- might be more about writing his legacy than padding his already impressive résumé.

"It's not about when am I going to be able to enjoy it, or are the expectations going to be greater next year?" Saban said. "I understand all of that, and I know all the love I get around here is conditional on one thing, and that's winning the game. I understand all of that. But if I didn't get positive self-gratification from helping kids and helping them graduate from school, being better people and being all they can be as football players, I wouldn't do this.

"It wouldn't be worth it to me. It wouldn't be worth the time, the sacrifice, and the family sacrifices I've had to make over the years with my own kids and wife. It's just not worth it. You can go make all the money in the world, but when you die, they bury it with you. There is no legacy to it. There won't be something they remember you for or talk about."

Read the entire article here: http://es.pn/HiGHMw