Tuesday, August 7, 2012

"PARACHUTE PACKED" A LONG WAY FROM HOME

I have blogged before about the story of "Who Packed Your Parachute" which also includes a great exercise for your team.  You can read the story here: http://bit.ly/KfIFy

After working my way through the July recruiting period, I had a few instances of abdominal pain which at times got to be severe.  And then on the last day of the period, July 31 it got to the point where I could barely rise from hotel bed in Augusta, Georgia. I didn't even make it to the gym for the last day of games.  I climbed into my car (literally) and hit "hospital" on the GPS and drove to the closest one. 

My good fortune took me to University Hospital.  After a battery of tests it was discovered that I had a "diseased" gallbladder that was starting to deteriorate and effect some of my other organs.  This along with a hernia problem.  The doctor told me it was far too serious for me to fly back to College Station for surgery and that he needed to go in as soon as possible. 

And with that my stay in Augusta was extended.

Over the next five days, an outstanding surgeon and a litany of nurses "packed my parachute."  Three shifts of three nurses per session took care of me -- and then the weekend shifts came in.  Each nurse had their own personality but each one did their job remarkably well.  Some went above and beyond the call of duty.  Jennifer discovered my iPhone was losing power.  Because I did not pack for the hospital, all of my belongings were still in the hotel.  So she brought her personal phone charger from home for me to use.

None seemed to be basketball fans but it didn't effect the quality of my care.  So far away from home but given the very best of treatment.  Now, as I sit in my office in Texas A&M, I know how fortunate I was that my GPS navigated my to University Hospital.

Thanks to all there who "Packed My Parachute."