Wednesday, July 10, 2013

WHAT THE NBA ASKS ALAN STEIN ABOUT PRO PROSPECTS

I've said it often and will continue to say it -- if you aren't following @AlanStein on twitter or regularly visiting his blog you are missing out on being a better coach and, more importantly, developing better players.  I also strongly suggest you take the opportunity to hear him speak.  I did so last year at Coaching U Live and wasn't disappointed.  Here is a blog post that he put up a bit ago but I think it translates to all level of coaching.  I know as a college coach these are a lot of the questions I'm trying to get answered about recruits.

Every spring I get calls from dozens of NBA personnel inquiring about potential NBA draft pics. They know I have worked with most of the prospects before at events like the Jordan Brand Classic and Nike Skills Academies.

However, you’d be surprised at the questions they actually ask me.

Nearly every single question has to do with character, attitude or work ethic.

They never ask me about their athleticism or skills.

Why? If an NBA team is going to invest millions of dollars in a player, they need to know he is of high character, has an exceptional attitude and possesses an unparalleled work ethic.

Here are the most common questions I get:
  • What was your very first impression of him?
  • Did you see any red flags?
  • Did you enjoy being around him?
  • Was he always on time?
  • Was he likable?
  • Was he coachable?
  • Was he an energy giver?
  • Did he love to play? 
  • Did he love to workout?
  • How was his attitude?
  • How was his work ethic?
  • Was he a gym rat?
  • What was the best part about working with him?
  • Was there anything difficult about working with him?
  • Was he respectful?
  • Was he self-motivated?
  • Did he act entitled? 
  • Was he selfish?
  • Was he mature?
  • Was he competitive?
  • Was he a leader?
And this is my favorite question that I’ve ever been asked:

Would you let your daughter marry him?

And while these particular questions are the ones I get from NBA personnel about potential draft picks, they are also the exact same type of questions I get from college coaches when they are recruiting a high school player.

There is so much more to basketball success than shooting, passing, rebounding, defending and dribbling!

Character counts!