Friday, December 27, 2013

KNOWING-DOING GAP

One of the things I enjoy most about social media is the opportunity to meet individuals that share the same interests that I do -- such as teaching.  It has been an incredible learning opportunity for me in terms of all that is being shared.  One such person that I have enjoyed a "twitter friendship" with is Jennifer Hoover who has an amazing passion towards teaching and education. 

I want to share an excerpt from her most recent blog post but will back track a little first.  One of may favorite quotes is the one above from Bruce Lee.  "Know is not enough, we must apply.  Willing is not enough, we must do."  It is a quote that I often share with players and teams and actually posted it on my Instagram account a few weeks on the day I shared it with this year's team.

It is also the basis for an outstanding post by Jennifer.  I am sharing a portion of it, but I hope you will read the entire post here.

Heard of the knowing-doing gap? It’s a term used in education and in business… it means sometimes we know things, but we don’t always do them. Having a positive mindset and belief system will help us to DO them and narrow or eliminate that gap.
 
Dr. Charles Garfield is a renowned researcher in the area of high- achieving individuals. One of the main things his research showed was that almost all peak performers are visualizers. They see it; they feel it; they experience it before they actually do it.
Affirmations are positive sentences that you repeat to yourself each day. Over time, you can change your mindset.
Steven Covey, in The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People, says that a good affirmation has five basic ingredients: it’s personal, it’s positive, it’s present tense, it’s visual, and it’s emotional.