Wednesday, February 4, 2015

ALWAYS DO MORE THAN IS REQUIRED OF YOU

I came across this blog post today from John Maxwell and loved it.  It was titled "Why You Should Do More Than Expected."  The title grabbed me immediately.  One of my favorite quotes that I share often, with players, coaches, managers, and anyone else on our team comes from General George S. Patton, Jr. that simply says:

"Always do more than is required of you."

It's a simplistic yet critical part to success.  It has nothing to do with intelligence or talent but is linked to attitude and commitment.  Many people have forged ahead in life by simply doing more than is required.

Here is a part of Mr. Maxwell's post though I recommend you read it all here.

Here are three “don’ts” and one “do” if you want to consistently exceed expectations:

Don't rely on your reputation.
I think that when we’re successful, our greatest temptation is to enjoy living on the past. We’ve gained a reputation for doing great things, and it’s really easy to “rest on our laurels,” so to speak. We forget how we got our reputation and start putting our energy into guarding it, instead of growing it anew. But we got our reputation by producing, and that’s how we need to build on it. Don’t just protect your reputation for good work. Do better work.

Don't rely on your relationships.

I’ve noticed that this is a real problem for a lot of people. For whatever reason, when they don’t meet or exceed expectations, their response is to play the “relationship card.” They say, “I know I didn’t do what I needed to do, but after all, we’re friends.”

Relationships are definitely important in life and can carry us through a lot of hard times. But this kind of thing is an abuse of a relationship, and it will suffer as a result. When you rely on a relationship instead of your efforts, you not only don’t exceed expectations, you don’t meet them either.

Don’t expect unearned respect.

We should never try to demand respect. I believe that respect must be earned daily. And the only way to do that is to continually produce and do more than is expected. I believe that once we understand that respect is not a given, we work harder and start each day with a clean slate. We don’t get to demand respect today because of what we achieved yesterday. Every day needs a fresh commitment to exceeding expectations.

Do ask questions, give your best, and ask questions again.

When I have a speaking engagement coming up, I ask a number of important questions. I want to know who will be there. What does the leader want his or her people to get out of it? How is morale? The answers to these questions help me to tailor my message so that it has the highest impact. It helps me discover what the expectations are, so I know how high to aim to exceed them.